Welcome to the Ontario Regional Contact Improvisation Jam - Ottawa - May 11–13 2012
2012-05-10 22:29 EDT
- If you’re reading this Welcome Letter, you’re probably already Registered.
- Register either by paying online or by sending us a cheque (USA: check) to the address in the “Pay Now” box on the Ontario Jam Home Page
- To change your Registration, contact Charlie using the links below.
- You can let everyone know you’re coming via the optional Facebook Event RSVP
Location - ODD Studios A/B - Arts Court - 2 Daly Avenue Index
- Here is a map of the location of Arts Court at 2 Daly Avenue
- use the “Get Directions” button and enter your address to get a route map
- The jam is in Ottawa Dance Directive Studios A and B - use the elevator.
Ride Sharing / Car Pooling to/from Ottawa Index
We are coordinating rides to and from Ottawa. After you register, enter your ride details in the free VIAmerge form to coordinate your transportation with other dancers.
Local Weather Index
- Look at the Ottawa Weather before you come and dress accordingly
- You can switch the weather page to Fahrenheit if you don’t speak Celsius
Billeting / Housing / Hébergement Index
- Have your Billeting/Housing arranged before you arrive!
- Ottawa is a small community; late billeting may not be possible.
- We will attempt to find you free billet space (housing) for the jam, if you contact us early enough.
- If you don’t have billeting arranged, come prepared to stay in paid accommodation. Here are some links to paid accommodation in the area.
- Please thank your billet host for housing you:
- Gifts are lovely but even a personal note or “thank-you” is appreciated!
What To Bring to Ottawa (Important!) Index
- Arrange your Billeting/Housing and bring a Sleeping Bag and Pillow if your billet is not providing one.
- Bring your Billeting address and contact information with you.
- Check out the Public Transit routes (below) to/from your billet
- Bring your own dishes and eating utensils! We have washing stations.
- Bring: washable plate, bowl, mug, cutlery (spoon!), cloth napkin
- Canada is Really Big - bring a Map so you don’t get lost
- Pay online, or bring Canadian or USA Money (at par) to Register
- Bring Canadian money for the bus, or buy bus tickets when you get here.
- Bring light knee pads, if you have them. See Dance Etiquette for clothing ideas.
Public Transportation Index
- Ottawa has a network of bicycles for rent, with rental stations at various places in the city: Bixi bikes
- Ottawa public transit buses are “exact change only” $3.25 Canadian, or you can buy tickets and get the same ride for two $1.30 tickets ($2.60).
- When paying for a ride, you can get a bus transfer that is good for 90 minutes of unlimited travel in any direction, which means you can sometimes get somewhere and back home on the same transfer (within 90 minutes).
- To find your bus route, go to the Ottawa Public Transit OCTranspo web site
- use the “Quick Travel Planner” to/from the Arts Court 2 Daly Avenue address to wherever you want to go
- some Ottawa buses run late night (1am) services
- If you have a billet on the other side of the river (in Quebec province), you may need to use a different bus company: STO
Parking for Cars Index
- Our downtown Arts Court venue has absolutely no parking spaces for personal cars.
- Don’t do it - your car will be towed away!
- Here is a parking map
- Refer to this map for P1, P2, P3, P4 below:
- Street parking downtown is limited and generally short term, except evenings and Sundays (refer to the above map):
- P1 - Nicholas St. short-term meter parking 9am to 3:30pm Mon-Sat (free Sun); 1 hour limit; 25 cents for 5 minutes
- Across the street there are several paid parking places (refer to the above map):
- P2 - CitiPark indoor parking; $1.50 for 30 minutes; $5 maximum Friday evening 6pm–11pm; $17 max for 12 hours; $20 max 24 hours
- P3 - Novotel Allpark indoor parking 613–563–1452; $3 for 30 minutes; $5 evenings; $5 all day on Saturdays and Sundays
- P4 - CitiPark outdoor parking 613–234–6526; $2 for 30 minutes; $20 max for 12 hours; $25 max all day; cash Visa M/C no Interac
- The P3 Novotel Allpark looks to be your best all-weekend deal.
- All of P1, P2, and P3 offer free or cheap ($5) Friday evening parking.
- Caveat: This parking list was prepared by someone who only rides a bicycle. Inspect all signage before parking!
What is Happening - The Schedule Index
- Friday Schedule Highlights:
- Arrive (doors open) at 2 Daly Avenue after 6pm on Friday May 11, 2012.
- Bring your Friends to learn Contact Improvisation on Friday evening!
- Light snacks will be available.
Dance Etiquette - Scratches, Smells, and Spills Index
- No buttons, buckles, or sharp jewelry when dancing!
- Please remove anything that might stick, catch, or scratch your fellow dancers as you move.
- Shoe-free dancing! Leave your street shoes outside the studios.
- The whole event is chemical- and scent-free. Come as you are!
- Please avoid perfumes, colognes, oils, and scents on you and your clothing.
- No scented face creams or scented deodorant/body care products.
- Wear clothing without chemicals: No scented dryer sheets, perfumed laundry soap/fabric softener, mothballs, etc.
- Only Pure Water in the Dance Studios - nothing else. No flavours, oils, hints, tints, or essences in the water, please.
- Water containers must be spill-resistant closed-top - no open cups.
- Floors in Dance Studio A (Theatre) are covered in black vinyl Rosco/Marley:
- Bring socks if sliding is an essential part of your improvisation style.
- Studio B (Courtroom) has a sprung wood floor.
- Dancing is Your Personal Responsibility
- On-Site Dance Waiver Required.
- Please sign a copy of this waiver when you arrive.
Food and Water Index
- We offer Light snacks on Friday.
- We offer Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper on Saturday.
- We offer Breakfast and Lunch on Sunday.
- We will bring in filtered/spring water to the Studio area
- the building has city water fountains upstairs from the jam
- See our fabulous Food Menu!
Languages / Langues Index
- We offer a language-agnostic bilingual English/français environment as best we can.
- Volunteers to help connect the two languages during circles and workshops are warmly welcomed.
The Jam has no paid organizers. We’re looking for more volunteers to help with the event. If you are interested, please let us know, and the sooner the better. Thanks in advance for your participation!
We will need people to help with setting up, cleaning up and closing up each night, registration, translation, welcoming and other assorted duties. Please let us know if you’re willing to help out and which dates/times (Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon) and what types of things you might do. Please contact OntJam2012@contactimprov.ca
See you Soon! Index
- Alexis, Charlie, Eileen, Elizabeth, Ian!
- Remember to bring your own washable dishes!
Plain Text - plain text version of this page in Pandoc Markdown format