Sunday Contact Jam
About the Jam
The Sunday Contact Jam in Toronto has been running since 1978. It is a jam that practices Contact Improvisation and does not have musical accompaniment. We improvise movement in contact with ourselves, gravity, floors and walls, and with others in the space.
Preregistration is not required, but space is limited to 24 people.
Join us for Contact Improvisation classes and jamming!
Studio RAW! 1220 Dupont Street, 2nd floor, Toronto, ON.
Every Sunday, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Class: 10:00 AM – 11:15 PM
Class participants must arrive between 10:00 AM and 10:15 AM to complete rapid testing.
Jam: 11:15 AM – 12:45 PM
Jam participants must arrive between 10:00 AM and 11:15 AM to complete rapid testing.
$15 – $20. Pay by:
- Cash at the door
PayPal, debit or credit card:
Costs for the tests have now been covered by the government. For scholarships contact TO.Sunday.Contact.Jam@gmail.com. Donations to help purchase insurance and/or help with scholarships are welcome.
Classes before the jam are back with a rotating roster of teachers.
Class announcements are on Facebook.
The Sunday Contact Jam supports safety measures which place a high value on the responsibility of each person to the well-being of all people in the community. The Safety Committee, Governing Body and Jam Organizer are committed to, and take responsibility for, providing jams which are as safe as possible for all participants.
All dancers must wear a mask at all times, take a self-administered rapid antigen test provided at the door, wash/disinfect hands before each dance, keep 6 feet distance before test results are in, answer pre-screening questions and sign community agreements and waiver.
As part of the registration process before arriving at the jam, please ensure that you have read:
- the description of the event (found below)
- the Waiver and Pre-screening and Community Agreements available at the jam or can be sent upon request, and that you will be asked to sign before entering the jam
- and the Full Guidelines available at the jam or can be sent upon request
As Contact Improvisation involves a rolling point of contact and sliding, clothing that has zippers, buttons as well as jewellery is not appropriate. Sleeveless shirts, shorts, skirts and slippery clothing is not recommended. Only non-glass water bottles are allowed in the studio as we dance barefoot. Please avoid wearing perfumes or scented body care products in consideration for people with chemical sensitivities.
If the answer is YES to any of the following questions 10 days before the jam you will not be able to attend this jam.
- Are you experiencing any of the following COVID symptoms?
- shortness of breath/breathing difficulties
- fever and/or chills
- decrease or loss of smell or taste
- sore throat
- difficulty swallowing
- runny or stuffy/congested nose
- pink eye
- digestive issues like nausea/vomiting
- extreme tiredness
- muscle aches and/or joint pain
- In the last 10 days, have you had COVID and/or tested positive on an antigen test?
- Have you been in contact with anyone who has contracted COVID in the last 10 days?
- Have you returned from traveling outside of Ontario or Canada in the last 10 days without having had an antigen test?
- Has a doctor, health care provider, or public health unit told you that you should currently be quarantining?
- I agree to take a self-administered rapid antigen test provided by the jam.
- I agree to wear a fresh mask while indoors.
- I agree to keep a minimum of 6 feet distance from those outside of my household before test results are in.
- I agree to disinfect my hands before and in between dances.
- I agree to not share food, water or any other objects with those outside of my household.